I like to keep my lasagna simple. This version is quick and easy with very few ingredients, including no boil lasagna sheets. I also make it in an 8 inch square pan, which is perfect for our family of four. I've played around with no ricotta lasagna in the past, but this time I've decided that shredded mozzarella and asiago are the way to go.
I've had delicious house made ricotta from The Hive in Arkansas, and from Portofino in Portland, but I haven't yet found any in stores that I would use in my own pasta dishes. If anyone knows of any great local ricotta, I'd love to add it to our home Italian charcuterie routine. Let me know!
Beef and Mozzarella Lasagna Without Ricotta
- 3 Delverde Ondine Instant Lasagna Sheets
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 jar of pasta sauce
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of grated asiago cheese
- Optional parsley garnish
- Extra asiago for garnish
- Brown the ground beef in a 12 inch pan over medium high heat, then drain. Add the pasta sauce and let simmer over medium to medium low heat.
- Soak the lasagna sheets in hot water for 2-3 minutes each.
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees. This recipe is made for a square baking dish.
- Place the first lasagna sheet in the baking dish, top with meat sauce, then 1 cup of the mozzarella, then a third cup of the asiago.
- Repeat, but turn the next sheet so that the waves are perpendicular to the first sheet. Repeat with the meat sauce and cheese again.
- Turn the third sheet again to be perpendicular to the middle sheet, then add more meat sauce and cheese.
- Cover with aluminum and bake 25 minutes. Remove foil and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with more asiago. Parsley is optional for garnish.