Spring rolls are deliciously versatile. I've made them with lamb, teres major, shrimp, ahi tuna, flat iron, and many other proteins. Just type in spring rolls in the search bar on the right side of my site, and you'll see!
Slow cooked, succulent country style ribs meld perfectly well with the crisp cucumber slices and julienned carrots inside the soft rice paper wrapper. Fresh herbs always make spring rolls even better!
It's really easy....3 pounds of country style ribs, in this case, these 4 shown above, in the oven at 300 degrees for 2 hours.
The fish sauce is the next integral thing about spring rolls. You can go heavy on the garlic....
Or you can go heavy on the peppers!
What is your favorite fish sauce, by the way? Lately Red Boat Fish Sauce is everyone's favorite, out of Viet Nam, in Phu Quoc, first press, extra virgin. No added preservatives or MSG!! Very Portland, Oregon, I'd say!
I'm on board!!
You should make these!
- 3 lbs. of Country style ribs
- Rice paper
- Fresh herbs, such as mint, cilantro, or perilla
- Shredded carrots
- Vermicelli noodles
- Season the ribs with your choice of spice rub, such as Asian or five-spice powder with turbinado sugar.
- Line a 9 x 12 pan with aluminum foil. Place the ribs on top, then cover with more foil.
- Roast in the oven 2 hours at 300 degrees. When cooled....
- Shred the meat with 2 forks.
- Make the spring rolls by wetting the rice paper under warm water.
- Lay on a plate to soften.
- Place filling ingredients on top: rib meat, herbs, carrots, vermicelli.
- Fold in both sides, then roll up to make a roll.
Serve with fish sauce dipping sauce. Seen below:
- 2 small red or green chilies
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup of sugar, I prefer all natural cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- Mash the chilies and garlic together, or chop in a mini chopper.
- Add the fish sauce. Top with sugar. Add the warm water, then stir till the sugar dissolves.
- Add the lime juice and stir, continuing to flavor if needed.