Our household is consumed by soccer every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. So, I've learned that those are great days to use my slow cooker, better known in the South as The Crock Pot.
Beef short ribs smell soooo good when you brown them, then add them to your slow cooker for 6 hours on low. Two forks easily shred the meat.
We prefer a Paleo lifestyle about 80 percent of the time, but occasionally will break bread together. Not just any bread, though. Usually a crusty baguette that we squeeze in the store before buying, to make sure it has just the right amount of give that we prefer. One touch, and we know its crustiness to softness ratio.Ingredients:
- 6 - 8 beef short ribs, about 2 or 3 pounds
- 1 bottle of beer
- 1 - 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Crusty baguette or hoagie
- Julienned carrots
- Sliced cucumber
- Cilantro, optional
- Season the ribs well with salt and pepper. Heat a pan over medium high heat 2 - 3 minutes. Add oil.
- Sear the ribs on each side about 2 or 3 minutes, until browned.
- Remove the ribs and add to the slow cooker.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan. Stir a few minutes. Add the beer and scrape to loosen any bits. Add all this to the slow cooker. Add broth, and cook on low 6 hours.
- Shred the meat with two forks.
- Make the sandwich by toasting the bread in the oven 8 minutes at 400 degrees. Split the bun, spread with Sriracha mayo. Add the meat, carrots, and cucumber. Spoon some of the sauce from the slow cooker on top.
- You can also pickle the cucumbers and carrots with salt and sugar if desired.
Squeeze some Sriracha into a ramekin. Add some mayonnaise and garlic powder, adjusting to your liking.