My husband Jereme and daughter Gianna love sticky rice so much. I grew up eating it, but had never made it before. Gianna likes to order packets of sticky rice wrapped in banana leaves with the ground meat and Chinese sausage in dim sum restaurants. Jereme always enjoyed it at my mother's house back home.
I was never sure which rice was the right one until I found the recipe in Lee Ann Wong's book Dumplings All Day Wong. That's where I found this unusual recipe that I'd never seen before. Then, I researched how others did it......
You just soak a cup of the rice in a bowl of water overnight, drain it, then let it dry.
Season the meat well. You can use ground pork or chicken.
The texture and flavors are very unusual and delicious.
- 1 cup of Premium Sweet Rice
- 1 pound of ground pork or chicken
- 2 green onions, choppped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp of liquid aminos, tamari, or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp shao xing rice wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- Place the rice in a bowl, add just enough water to cover, and let sit overnight.
- Drain rice and let dry. Spread onto a sheet pan.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Make small meatballs of the meat mixture, then roll in the rice until coated.
- Prepare a steamer with parchment paper or banana leaves. Place the rice - coated meatballs an inch apart. Heat on high, then lower to medium high heat to steam.
- Steam about 15 or 20 minutes or until done.
Make a dipping sauce of liquid aminos or tamari or soy sauce with rice vinegar and sesame oil.