Short ribs can be fairly expensive, so I don't buy them often. But.....one day I spotted some in the Manager's Special section, and they looked great! No brown spots, and the date was still good on the package. So I snatched them up! My husband said it was the greatest thing he'd ever eaten. But he says that pretty much all the time!
I browned the short ribs on all sides before placing them inside the slow cooker. I decided to throw some leftover brussels sprouts in too. I probably should have waited a few hours before putting those in, though.
Next, I made a gremolata with lemon zest, grated garlic, and cilantro instead of parsley. Most people chop their parsley finer than this, but I'm fine with a course chop.
Lobster tails are very inexpensive at this store nearby, so I made this meal a surf and turf dinner. (They're $4 per tail!) I run a skewer through them to keep them from curling up - for a prettier presentation. Then I steam them about 5 minutes on medium high heat.
Aren't quick and easy meals great?
- 6 beef short ribs
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 2 tbsp of worcestershire
- 2 tbsp of stone ground mustard
- 1 red onion, chopped
- Season the ribs with salt and pepper, then sear over high heat on all sides until browned.
- Place the onions inside the slow cooker.
- Place the ribs on top. Add the broth, worcestershire, and mustard.
- Cook on low 6 - 8 hours. Serve with some of the sauce from the slow cooker, then some gremolata.