You can find these fresh, local shrooms at Hillcrest Artisan Meats in Little Rock. They were so perfectly made by nature, you don't need to do much to them when you cook them.
They came from Sweden Creek Farm in Kingston, Arkansas. Just grab a brown bag and fill it up with as many mushrooms as you'd like! I love the earthy aroma that they possess. These shiitakes make a great snack or side item. I can't describe how superior the flavor is. When you compare fresh, local food from Arkansas farms to produce that you get in some of the large chain stores, you taste the difference, and there's no going back.
- Handful of shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp butter
- chopped shallot
- chopped chives
- dash of dry white wine
- Clean the mushrooms by wiping off any dirt if present - these didn't require much cleaning at all.
- Snip off the coarse stem with kitchen scissors.
- Continue using the scissors and cut each mushroom cap into thirds or fourths.
- Heat a large saute pan, add the butter, the shallot, and the chives.
- Add the mushrooms and stir around the pan with a wooden spoon or spatula. I used my daughter's baby tongs.
- Add a splash of wine. Stir a little more, then serve.