True confession time. I used to buy Campbell's Italian Wedding Soup out of the can all the time. I thought it was some pretty good stuff. Well because it is! But, lately I've been trying to do more home cooking and less canned foods. So I decided to make my own version of the stuff. The temperature has also dropped a little, and I can eat soup for lunch everyday. Add to that a husband who would like me to spend less money on eating out everyday - if I want to build another dream house someday. And that's my motivation......
- Ground pork - about 1 lb.
- Green onions, chopped
- Fish sauce, optional
- Garlic Powder, to taste
- 1 Bunch of Kale, shredded, stems discarded
- Half a bag of baby carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 White onion, finely diced
- 1 Cup of Acini de Pepe pasta (Kroger brand)
- 8 cups of chicken broth, lower sodium, no MSG
- 2 tbsp butter and/or 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Mix the ground pork with the green onions, fish sauce, and garlic powder for maximum flavor.
- Heat a medium stock pot with the butter and olive oil. Add the onions and carrots. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth. Adjust heat to high to bring it up to a boil.
- But meantime, start to make the meatballs - smaller than the ones I made! Drop into the hot broth.
- Simmer over medium heat about 20 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked.
- Add the pasta. Bring back up to a boil again. Add the kale, then cover, simmer.
- Check occasionally until the kale is tender.