- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 32 oz. beef broth
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup of barley
- Corn sliced off of 3 cobs
- 8 oz. french green beans, chopped
- 1 small package of baby carrots
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 - 4 cups of water
- salt, to taste, or fish sauce
- Brown the ground beef in a medium stock pot with the onion. Drain the fat, then add the garlic.
- Add the broth, tomato paste, barley, corn, green beans, basil, carrots, bay leaves, and salt or fish sauce.
- Add 2 - 4 cups of water, depending on your preference of thick or thin soup.
- Bring up to a boil, then simmer over low heat, covered. It will be ready in 10 minutes, but you can simmer it on low heat longer to let the flavors develop even better.
Tomatoes would have made this dish better, but we had some crazy mishaps. The guy who checked us out at The Fresh Market completely forgot to ring up my bottom basket, and somehow my husband's checkout person also left out his tomatoes when he went to the store. We were both so distracted, we didn't even notice until we got home! Watch those checkers!