Since I was so involved with the puff pastry cheddar crust, I kept the rest of the recipe pretty simple. Frozen veggies worked well here.
After I rolled the cheese into the puff pastry, I folded it up, then cut some strips with a ridged edge.
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed per package instructions
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 lbs. of shredded chicken
- 1 bag of frozen veggies (green beans, peas, carrots, corn)
- 1 small can of sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of milk
- Heat the butter over low heat in a medium Dutch oven. Add the flour, stirring well to incorporate. Add the broth, then the milk, and heat over medium low until thickened.
- Add the frozen vegetables, sliced mushrooms, and chicken. Stir to heat over medium, then reduce heat and keep warm over low heat.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured board. Brush bottom half with egg wash mixture. Top with cheese, then fold the lower half up. Roll the pastry to press closed, then cut as shown above.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the chicken mixture into a square pan. Alternate strips of puff pastry to create the lattice crust. Brush with egg wash mixture.
- Bake in the oven 20 - 30 minutes until the crust is browned. Cover the edges with aluminum foil after 10 minutes to prevent burning.