- 1 Pekin/Long Island Duck (about 5 1/2 lbs.)
- 1/2 cup Tamari
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- Orange sauce packet (from inside the duck)
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup kosher salt
- Paprika, for rubbing
- Prepare the brine by dissolving the kosher salt in 3 cups of the water. This can be done in a pot over medium high heat. Once dissolved, remove from heat and add remaining ingredients, except for the paprika. Allow to cool before adding to the duck.
- Remove the giblets and neck from inside the duck. In a large container, place the duck and brine ingredients inside. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the duck 30 minutes prior to cooking. Discard brine.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Score the duck skin all over, without piercing the meat.
- Sprinkle paprika on both sides and rub into the duck's skin. Line a pan with foil. Place a rack on top, then spray the rack. Place the duck breast side down on the rack.
- Cook for one hour, remove the pan from the oven, and flip the duck to breast side up.
- Cook another hour, or until the temperature reaches 180 degrees on a thermometer. All ovens are different, I'm learning.
- Allow the duck to rest about 15 minutes before serving. I served mine with polenta and sauteed mushrooms & spinach.
The scored duck before roasting.
The finished whole duck before carving. Nicely browned.