Gianna overheard me talking to my friend Marla about the Southern Gourmasian truck and their signature chicken & dumplings. But that day, Gianna wanted to try the pork buns. I think she wanted to see how my own pork buns measured up. So today as we walked around K Oriental thinking about what to cook, she asked if I would make the chicken and dumplings like the Southern Gourmasian truck. I wanted to throw a quick copy cat dish together, so I left out the shitake mushrooms because those take more time. They have to reconstitute in water for 30 minutes. I also left out the red pepper that makes the dish so spicy. And if you read many of my recipes, you know that I often leave out onions if Gianna's going to eat. Based on all that, here's my closest imitation...
For more information about the rice cakes, and another recipe on using them, click here.
- 1 package of rice cake sticks (I used the skinny ones; they use the fat ones.)
- 1 cup of diced grilled chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1/4 cup of hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- cilantro for garnish
- optional: crushed red pepper and toasted sesame seeds
- Cut the sticks into 8 sections. Use 2 cups for this recipe.
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat. When hot, remove from heat and spray the pan with oil.
- Add the cut up rice sticks.
- Toast them for about 5 minutes, turning each one.
- Mix the sauce: chicken broth through tamari. Dissolve corn starch well.
- Add the garlic to the pan and stir for a couple of minutes, then slowly add the sauce.
- Mix all the ingredients together, add the chicken, then remove from the heat.