I made this a while back, froze it, and brought it back out for the big game. This is because lately I've been cooking 4 or 5 meals in one day, then I'm storing them in containers in the freezer (with cute little Martha Stewart labels from Staples). So we got up last Sunday morning, threw the defrosted chili into the Crock Pot, and let it heat up all day on low for about 6 hours. Now, as I write this post, we're getting snow, and I'm thinking how nice it would be to warm up something else that I have in the freezer for a good comfort meal today...
- 2 pounds 80/20 ground beef
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 cup of bottled V8 - Gianna doesn't like tomatoes, and I don't want to used canned.
- Brown the ground beef over medium high heat in a large Dutch oven. Add the white onion. Drain.
- Add all other ingredients, increase heat to high, bring to a boil while stirring.
- Then reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer about 30 minutes.
- Top with cheddar cheese, diced green onions, sour cream, diced radish.