It's prepared with Country Style Ribs. I cut the meat off the bone, but throw the bones in to make a stock. Then it's the usual fish sauce of Vietnamese cooking that completes the flavors. In the similar way that a little anchovy makes a great caesar salad, a little bit of fish sauce is just faint enough but provides the saltiness that rounds out a great soup.
- 2 pounds of counry style ribs - about 5 ribs
- 1 finely diced white onion
- 2 bags of fresh cauliflower - 14 oz. each
- 1 small bag of petite carrots
- 8 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce - Three Crabs is preferable
- Black pepper
- Course kosher salt
- Cut the ribs into small bite - sized pieces. Trim the fat, and reserve the bones.
- Heat a small amount of canola oil - just enough to cover the bottom of a stock pan or dutch oven.
- Add the diced onions and cook until wilted about 5 minutes. Add the rib pieces with bones and stir with some salt and pepper.
- When lightly browned, season with the fish sauce. Add the water, and bring up to a boil.
- Cover with a lid and reduce to low heat to simmer the meat until cooked for 30 minutes.
- Next, add the carrots and cauliflower. Cover with a lid for 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.