I don't usually "bake" much, as in cookies or cakes or bread. But one day up at work, our Business Manager Gena brought a cake that she'd made for our General Manager Cindy on her birthday. And I also don't usually eat sweets much, but that day I decided that since that was the case, I would indulge in Gena's Turtle Cake. It was so delicious, I decided to make it for my husband Jereme on his birthday.
- 1 Package German chocolate cake mix
- 3/4 c. butter
- 1 (14 oz.) package of Kraft caramels
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Pour the evaporated milk into a small saucepan over medium heat, then unwrap the caramels and add them. Stir them to melt.
- Combine cake mix and butter according to directions on the box. Pour half of the batter into greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until cake puffs up and is gooey.
- Pour caramel mix over baked layer.
- Top with nuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour remainder of batter over all and bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick tests clean.
I let the girls stand on a step ladder and do the stirring for me. They loved every minute of it.