The April 2011 Cooking Light called this "specialty cut very tender" and "the darling of savvy butchers."
Here's a great way to prepare it:
- Marinate overnight with marinade such as Napa Valley's Shanghai or make your own: reduced sodium soy sauce, fresh ginger, sesame oil, and garlic powder, in a large ziploc bag.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a grill pan with canola oil spray. Heat over medium high heat.
- When hot, (about 4 minutes) add the flat iron steak to the pan. Turn heat up to high. Flip over about 4 minutes later.
- Once browned on both sides, place onto an oven safe pan and roast for 10 more minutes.
- After 10 minutes, pull out of the oven and let sit, or "rest" 10 minutes.
- Cut across the grain as seen here.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Once pre-heated, place corn cobs with husk on right onto the racks.
- Cook 30 minutes.
- Peel husk back and rub scampi or garlic butter on.